Hello everyone, i have been contacted by an angling organisation who was drawing my attention as a professional angler to a new by-law which has come about.........it is of obvious interest to Salmon anglers and the new law will inadvertently hit pike anglers also and in some instances the course angler fishing for Bream, tench and hy-breds etc etc...........Basically Bye-law 888 effective from January the 1st 2012 states that the angler fishing on a large number of Irish waterways can not fish with worm, prawn or shrimp and must use only single barbless hooks.

Obviously this is going to be a nightmare for the fisheries staff to police, but it is obvious that the measures are being taken to protect the salmon stocks.....it will also impact on the pike angler, in particular the lure anglers as they will have to rig there plastics, jellies, jerk baits and crankbaits with single barbless hooks.

This bye-law does effect a large amount of waterways so you should really check the list to see if your local water is effected.

This document has been taken from the IFI website.

Bye-law 888

Incidentally if you want some quality Pike and Trout flies feel free to visit here.....West Coast Angling e-bay shop.

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to a speech by Pat Rabitte this bye law is to be repealed and replaced with a new one to take account of changes that angling orgaisations wanted made. Listed below are the main points of his speech

1. Bye Law 888 will shortly be revoked and replaced by Bye Law 897 2012. This change will have the effect of removing a number of provisions which had the unintended consequences in the implementation of Bye Law 888.
2. While this particular Bye Law was part of the proposed Salmon management regulations, it is recognised that those proposals had the potential to ultimately affect coarse and Pike anglers. These anglers would not necessarily have had reason previously to examine thae consultation documents for Salmon management and hence they did not appreciate the significance of the proposed Bye-Law.
Therefore, following discussion with the Angling delegation, it has been agreed that for future years, in addition to publication on my Departments's website, the advisory/consultation documentation will be sent directly to the main angler representative bodies in advance of sign off. The angling representatives can then disseminate to their members and other interested parties.
3. Reference to banning prawn and shrimp as angling baits be removed from the Bye-Law.
4. Remove the River Fergus system from the Bye-Law.
5. Remove the Kilcolgan River from the Bye-Law.
6. All other issues can be dealt with through giving a clear communication of the spirit and intent of the Bye-Law and how it is going to be implemented.

Nice one Eamon, thanks for that.........

the then vice chairman of tafi said at the agm last sunday that  single barbless hooks act as a scissors when it comes to small trout under 8oz, not sure where he got his info or research on this. he mentioned that this bye law was to be repealed too, he is now the chairman by the way :)

As you can see below the bye law regarding single barbless hooks was actually brought in in 2007. I must say Andrew that I disagree that all anglers are intent on catching fish just to kill them, this may have been the way years ago but i know here in Athlone, and Declan can back me up on this, there is now a strong bias towards catch and release and all the llocal clubs actively encourage this.

DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS, MARINE AND NATURAL RESOURCES

FISHERIES ACTS 1959 TO 2006

EASTERN FISHERIES REGION (ANGLING)

BYE-LAW NO. 824, 2007

I, John Browne, Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 9 (as amended by section 3 of the Fisheries (Amendment) Act 1962 (No. 31 of 1962)) of the Fisheries (Consolidation) Act 1959 (No. 14 of 1959), section 33 of the Fisheries (Amendment) Act 1962, the Fisheries (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 1977 (S.I. No. 30 of 1977) (as adapted by the Marine and Natural Resources (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2002 (S.I. No. 307 of 2002)), the Marine (Delegation of Ministerial Functions) Order 2006 (S.I. No. 82 of 2006) and the Marine (Delegation of Ministerial Functions) (No. 4) Order 2006 (S.I. No. 543 of 2006) and having complied with the requirements of  Regulation 31 of the European Communities (Natural Habitats) Regulations 1997 (S.I. No. 94 of 1997), hereby make the following bye-law:

1.         (1)        This Bye-law may be cited as the Eastern Fisheries Region (Angling) Bye-law No. 824, 2007.

(2)        This Bye-law comes into operation on the day of its making.

2.         Notwithstanding anything contained in any Bye-law, it is prohibited for a person to use or attempt to use worms as bait or any fish hooks, other than single barbless hooks, in angling for any kind of fish in the waters of a river mentioned in column (2) of the Schedule opposite the mention of a fishery district in column (1) of the Schedule.

Schedule

Article 2

Fishery District

(1)

River

(2)

No. 1 or Dublin District

Vartry

Dargle

Liffey (excluding upstream of Pollaphuca dam and the river Dodder)

No. 2 or Wexford District

Avoca

Owenavorragh

Slaney

No. 17 (1)or Drogheda District

Boyne (the main channel)

Kells Blackwater (downstream of the Nine Eyed    Bridge)

No. 17 (2) or Dundalk District

Flurry

Glyde (that part of the river downstream of Castlebellingham Weir)

Dee (that part of the river downstream of Cappogue Bridge)

GIVEN under my hand,

30 May 2007.

John Browne

John Browne,

Minister of State at the

Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.

Thanks for the reply Eamon, that is interesting, i did not know that the bye-law had been in for while on the Eastern region. Do you think it has been effective?

I must say my words in the last post would actually exceed my beliefs and i do not for one minute suggest that ALL anglers are killing fish all over the place.....Indeed on the fishery that i run, every single trout was returned alive last season apart from 2 for the table, That shows that anglers are certainly conscious of catch and release and as you say they would appear to be a growing number. However the pile of 14 good pike that i found behind a weedy bank last season at a fishery near to where i live, were not so lucky.........this is not an isolated instance either....Do these guys actually care about barbless hooks? This is not a rule thing, this is a mental attitude thing.

as eamon said above catch and release is rapidly increasing on lough ree, the 3 major clubs in athlone ALL exercise this in trout and of course pike fishing.. some are taken for the table but more and more often they are being weighed and carefully released,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by John Burton.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service